Diarrhea can be treated with completely natural remedies. Diarrhea is an alteration of feces that become watery and liquid, as well as increasing the frequency with which we have to go to the bathroom. But can diarrhea be treated naturally? Yes. Today we will discover what they are.
If the diarrhea is not resolved within a maximum period of two days, we need to go to the doctor to give us a solution. The severity of diarrhea is that we lose a lot of fluids, even if we drink enough water. Therefore, the risk of suffering from dehydration is quite high.
Normally, diarrhea arises due to a disease, such as gastroenteritis. However, it is possible to have it if we have anxiety or stress. Today we will discover some remedies to treat it that can prevent us from frequenting the bathroom so much. In addition, we will relieve other side effects that you have such as severe stomach pain or nausea.
Remedies to treat diarrhea naturally
In addition to not allowing us to do our activities normally, diarrhea can be annoying and painful. To reduce symptoms, we can take advantage of the benefits of the following home remedies:
1. Rice water
It is one of the best-known recipes to treat diarrhea. Surely your mother or grandmother prepared it when you were little.
- 4 cups of water (1 l)
- 1 cup of rice (185 g)
- In a saucepan, place the water and heat.
- When it boils, add the rice and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After that time, strain and reserve the water.
- Wait for it to reach room temperature and drink a cup.
- You can consume up to three cups per day.
2. Drink lots of water
Specialists always recommend being very well hydrated when you are suffering from diarrhea due to the dehydration that occurs. We can drink water through infusions or even drink sports drinks, saline water, although this is not something doctors usually recommend.
Being with diarrhea removes too many body fluids and many nutrients such as sodium and potassium. The best? Drink little, but many times.
It is a good remedy for any stomach or intestinal problems we have, due to the “good” bacteria – such as the Lactobacillus acidophilus or Bifidobacterium – which it contains.
These microorganisms restore balance in the colon and are responsible for annihilating harmful bacteria. If possible, eat two natural yogurts a day to reduce diarrhea symptoms.
4. Lemon with water and baking soda
Drinking a lot of fluid is essential when we have diarrhea, since the body becomes dehydrated with each bowel movement. In addition, if we combine water with other ingredients such as lemon and baking soda, it can help us recover faster.
- 1 l of water
- 3 medium lemons
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 10 g of sugar (1 tablespoon)
- Place the water in a glass at room temperature.
- Add the baking soda and salt. Stir well.
- Next, add the sugar and mix.
- Drink several times a day.
Apple is the best fruit to treat diarrhea. However, to be effective, it has to be peeled. Since the skin contains a lot of fiber and cooked or roasted. Once the cooking is finished, it can be sliced, grated or compote.
It is used in the event that diarrhea is caused by food poisoning. It serves to reduce abdominal cramps and pain. It can be consumed in different ways, such as tea.
- 1 small slice of ginger root
- 250 ml of water (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon honey (25 g)
- In a saucepan, place the water and the ginger slice.
- Heat until the boil breaks and let the decoction take place for 15 minutes.
- After the indicated time, remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Filter, sweeten with honey and drink as hot as possible.
7. Chamomile tea
Chamomile flowers have many medicinal properties. In addition to calming the nerves and anxiety – ideal if these are the causes of diarrhea – the plant treats intestinal inflammation and is antispasmodic.
Chamomile tea bags are very easy to find in the market or in health food stores. Consume up to three cups per day.
It is usually used to treat diarrhea naturally, especially in children. Like the apple, we must consume it peeled and cooked. You can also make a compote as follows:
- 3 pears
- 250 ml of water (1 cup)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lemon juice
- Peel the pears and cut them into large slices.
- Place the water and cinnamon stick in a saucepan.
- Cook until the pears are soft.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the preparation.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and serve a portion.
- You can eat up to 3 servings per day.
9. Fenugreek seeds
Also known as alhova, they are perfect for treating diarrhea naturally, since they contain a good dose of mucilages – with antidiarrheal properties. Simply chew a handful of roasted fenugreek several times a day.
This rich and nutritious vegetable carrot, which can be consumed in purees or soups, has many benefits. On the one hand, it gives us water to reduce or prevent dehydration caused by diarrhea; In addition, it guarantees a good dose of potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. All these minerals restore the balance of the intestinal flora.
Banana is the third-best fruit to treat diarrhea that exists. It is recommended to consume it mature, due to its high content of pectin, a water-soluble fiber, and potassium which balances some of the digestive functions.
12. Choose starchy foods
Some foods that contain starches can help treat diarrhea naturally. Some of these foods are cereals or rice. Potatoes are also very rich in starches so they should be present in our diet.
Likewise, there are also several plants such as Lauraceae or Ulmaceae that, taken as a remedy, hydrate and treat diarrhea. The feeling that is found within the Ulmaceae family can be prepared as follows:
- A mixture is made with the leaves and ashes of the stem.
- Once the water reaches the boiling point, cassava starch is added.
- We wait for about 5 minutes and let stand.
- Remove and strain the mixture and add some cinnamon sticks.
13. Orange peel
The orange peel is one of the most popular natural remedies that are known to treat diarrhea naturally. To prepare it you need to follow the following steps.
- Boil a liter of water and add some chopped orange peels.
- Let it reach the boiling point and allow the solution to stand for 15 minutes.
- The result is cast and allowed to cool.
- Once we have our infusion ready we can drink it or drink it cold throughout the day. It will calm the pains, reduce nausea and, little by little, reduce our desire to go to the bathroom.
Diarrhea in children
These remedies to treat have to be very careful with the latter. Children can become dehydrated much faster and if they are very young, they may not know how to feel bad, that they have a dry mouth or that they start to get dizzy, symptoms of dehydration.
For this reason, before an episode of diarrhea of a child we should see a doctor. This is very important and we should not, under any circumstances, self-medicate it.
On many occasions, we may have some product at home or we may know of a drug that we adults have used or that we have been told about for children. Self-medication can have consequences.
All these methods to treat diarrhea naturally have their benefits, so the choice will depend exclusively on the needs and preferences of the patient. If you are going through the awkward moment that this disease generates, it is time to put them into practice. What works for you for diarrhea? Have you ever found the remedies to treat diarrhea naturally mentioned?